Festive Season Alert:
Dear Valued Members
Herewith important information to note for the Festive Period:
Payment for upcoming Public Holidays:
- When a public holiday falls on a Sunday, the Monday also BECOMES a public holiday. This means that BOTH the 16th and the 17th December are public holidays, and need to be paid as such (i.e. double pay)
- Both the 25th and 26th December are declared public holidays (double pay).
- As is the 1st January 2019 (double pay).
Visitor Safety for the Festive Season:
As the province heads into peak tourism season, partners in the Western Cape’s tourism industry have committed to work together to ensure that tourism safety is a priority.
There are a variety of resources that visitors can contact during their stay in Cape Town and the Western Cape. These include:
- Tourism Safety Officers are available for contact on the following numbers:
- Cynthia Makweya – 072 447 1504 and
- Neo Mocumi – 082 554 2010 (Cape Town, Overberg, Winelands, West Coast) and
- Ilze Jacobs – 082 972 2507 (Garden Route and Karoo).
- Cape Town Tourism will continue to run its ‘Safety Tips’ campaign and provide a ‘Band-Aid Programme’ to tourists in distress as well as through its toll-free helpline at 086 132 2223.
- The Public Emergency Communications Centre will be on stand-by to provide awareness and trauma counselling through its 24-hour call centre available at 107 (from a landline) and 021- 480 7700 (from a cell phone).
For full article, please click here.
Latest Legislation Update:
National Minimum Wage Act – Commencement Date. Published December 2018
The President has determined that the National Minimum Wage Act, published in November 2018, will come into operation on the 1st January 2019.
Labour Relations Amendment Act – Commencement Date. Published December 2018
The President has determined that the Labour Relations Amendment Act, published in November 2018, will come into effect on the 1st January 2019.
Compensation for Occupational Injuries & Diseases – Increase in earnings. Published December 2018
The Minister of Labour has published a revised maximum amount on which an assessment of an employer is calculated. The amount has increased from R 430, 944.00 to R 458, 520.00 per annum. The revised annual figure will come into effect on the 1st March 2019.
Bergriver – Liquor Trading Days and Hours By-Law. Published December 2018
The By-Law applies to all liquor licenced establishments situated within the area of jurisdiction of the municipality and provides for matters such as definitions, trading days and hours, application for amendment to trading hours, enforcement and offences – amongst others. The Bergriver Municipality comprises the towns of Redelinghuys, Eendekuil, Aurora, Velddrif, Porterville, Piketberg, Dwarskersbos, Laaiplek, Goedverwacht and Wittewater in the Western Cape.
Please note that our Offices will be closed for the Festive period from 18th December 2018 and will re-open on 7th January 2019.