The Department of Tourism invites eligible tourism enterprises to apply for support under the Domestic Market Access Support Programme (DMASP) to participate on the Hidden Gems Pavilion at Africa’s Travel Indaba 202.
The event will take place at Inkosi Albert Luthuli Convention Centre (Durban ICC) in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal.
Africa’s Travel Indaba is one of the largest tourism marketing platforms in Africa and one of the top three must-visit events of its kind on the global calendar. It showcases the widest variety of Africa’s best tourism products and attracts international buyers and media from across the world. For additional information on the event, please visit www.indaba-southafrica.co.za .
The Hidden Gems pavilion is a dedicated platform for small tourism enterprises to showcase their tourism products and services to buyers attending Africa’s Travel Indaba.
A limited number of spaces on the Hidden Gems Pavilion is available for market access support under the
DMASP, which is specially aimed at assisting small tourism enterprises. In line with the DMASP guidelines
(available at www.tourism.gov.za), the following type of business are encouraged to apply, and will be considered for support:
• Accommodation sector – formally serviced accommodation, guest accommodation, self-catering
accommodation, backpackers and hostelling, caravan and camping, game/nature lodge and venues,
with a valid star grading certificate from the Tourism Grading Council of South Africa (TGCSA).
• Travel and related services – inbound tour operator/Destination Marketing Company, conference
organisers, incentive travel organisers and inbound travel agents.
• Hospitality and related services conference venues (not attached to hotels) and attractions.
In order to be eligible for support under the DMASP, prospective applicants must be a tourism enterprise that:
• is a registered legal entity in South Africa in terms of the Companies Act 1973 (as amended) or the
Companies Act, 2008, the Close Corporations Act, 1984 (as amended) or the Co-operatives Act
2005 (as amended);
• is a majority South African-owned inbound tourism enterprise that offers integrated and packaged
experiences; products and or services, with an annual turnover not exceeding R5 million;
• has been in operation for at least one calendar year;
• has not participated or exhibited at an international tourism trade platform before;
• is tax compliant in accordance with the regulations of the South African Revenue Service;
• an Exempt Micro Enterprise (EME) in line with, and compliant with the Amended Tourism B-BBEE
sector codes; and
• is appropriately insured through insurance cover relating to the relevant tourism sub-sector.
The following supporting documents should accompany the DMASP application form (available at
• Central Supplier Database (CSD) Registration Report (please visit www.treasury.gov.za for more
• proof of insurance cover applicable to the relevant tourism sub-sector;
• proof of turnover or bank statements for the past six months;
• proof of compliance with the Amended Tourism B-BBEE sector code ; and
• a comprehensive company profile.
The comprehensiveness of the company profile is critical in the evaluation of eligible enterprises for the final selection of applicants that will qualify for support. Evaluation criteria used in determining the readiness and ability of tourism enterprises to participate successfully at the trade show relate to amongst others experience and market readiness, marketing efforts and presence (website, brochures & social media), listing with national, provincial and/or local associations, handling capacity of the product/ service, nature and relevance of products and services offered, etc. Please ensure that your company profile is comprehensive and include as much of this information as possible.
In line with the programme guidelines, an upfront payment will be made on behalf of qualifying and selected enterprises to service providers and event organisers for the following services:
• accommodation on bed-and-breakfast basis for the duration of the exhibition (please note that lunch
and dinner are not included and are at the selected participants’ cost);
• return economy flights and connecting flights where necessary OR reimbursement of road transport
cost for participants within a 300Km radius;
• participation / exhibition fees; and
• other aspects of participation e.g. official shuttles, online diary management system, networking
Application Forms are to be submitted to the following e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org
(You will receive a unique number from the Department confirming receipt of your application within
three (3) working days. Should you not receive a unique number after three (3) days, please follow-up
with the officials below for assistance. The Department will not be held responsible for any non-delivery
No applications received before the publication of a call for application or after the due date will be
Closing date of application forms: 30 March 2022, 16:00pm.
For enquiries kindly contact:
Ms Rose Mofokeng
Cell: 079 675 1888
Tel: 012 444 6598
or Ms Paballo Mokgwamme
Cell: 073 655 1433
Tel: 012 444 6443